Tuesday, June 7, 2011

DC with Copied VM in Hyper-V, Fail

I previously built a domain controller using a copy of a Windows Server 2008 R2 Core template that I had already setup. Everything worked fine until I built another server using the same template and joined it to the domain. Then I ran into this:

Event 5516 The computer or domain [machine] trusts domain [domain]. (This may be an indirect trust.) However, [machine] and [domain] have the same machine security identifier (SID). NT should be re-installed on either [machine] or [domain].

Bottom line here is that you do not ever want to copy/clone/duplicate a server to build a new domain. Your domain controller for your new domain needs to be a unique build, so that it has a unique machine SID. Based on this article, you can feel free to copy/clone/duplicate servers for all other scenarios. It is my understanding that you can even do this when adding a new domain controller to an existing domain - because the new DC will inherit the SID from the domain. This issue only occurs with duplicating a server to build a DC for a new domain.

Now I have to go fix a couple VMs...

No comments:

Post a Comment